Carlow(redirected from Carlow, Ireland)
Also found in: Dictionary.
Carlow(kär`lō), county (1991 pop. 40,942), 346 sq mi (896 sq km), SE Republic of Ireland. The chief towns are CarlowCarlow,
town (1991 pop. 14,027), seat of Co. Carlow, SE Republic of Ireland, on the Barrow River. It is an agricultural market in a dairy region, with sugar refining, flour milling, brewing, and shoe manufacturing. There are ruins of a 12th-century castle.
..... Click the link for more information. , the county seat; Bagenalstown, on the Barrow River, which forms much of the western boundary of the county; and Tullow, on the Slaney River which crosses the county from north to south. The granitic uplands of the Blackstairs Mts. in the southeast are a conspicuous feature in an otherwise fertile lowland region. Grain and sugar-beet farming, cattle raising, and dairying are regional occupations. There are also flour-milling, malting, and sugar-refining industries. The trains from DublinDublin,
Irish Baile Átha Cliath, county borough (1991 pop. 915,516), Leinster, capital of the Republic of Ireland, on Dublin Bay at the mouth of the Liffey River. Its harbor, with shipyards, docks, and quays, dates from 1714.
..... Click the link for more information. to KilkennyKilkenny
, Gaelic Cill Chainnigh, town (1991 pop. 8,515), seat of Co. Kilkenny, S Republic of Ireland, on the Nore River. The districts of Irishtown and Englishtown, separated by a stream, were legally united in 1843.
..... Click the link for more information. and WaterfordWaterford,
town (1991 pop. 41,853), seat of Co. Waterford, S Republic of Ireland, on the Suir River near the head of Waterford Harbour. The port town is a center for the export of fruit, meat, and the famous Waterford crystal.
..... Click the link for more information. travel through Carlow. Organized as a county in the early 13th cent., Carlow was strategically situated on the southern edge of the English PalePale.
1 In Irish and English history, that district of indefinite and varying limits around Dublin, in which English law prevailed. The term was first used in the 14th cent. to designate what had previously been called English land.
..... Click the link for more information. . In the 13th cent. it had palatinate privileges.
Carlow,town (1991 pop. 14,027), seat of Co. Carlow, SE Republic of Ireland, on the Barrow River. It is an agricultural market in a dairy region, with sugar refining, flour milling, brewing, and shoe manufacturing. There are ruins of a 12th-century castle. The town is also the seat of the Roman Catholic diocese of Kildare and Leighlin. Of strategic importance, Carlow was burned in 1405 and in 1577. In 1798 a fierce street battle was fought there by insurgent United Irishmen. St. Patrick's College for priests opened in 1798.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia™ Copyright © 2013, Columbia University Press. Licensed from Columbia University Press. All rights reserved. www.cc.columbia.edu/cu/cup/
1. a county of SE Republic of Ireland, in Leinster: mostly flat, with barren mountains in the southeast. County town: Carlow. Pop.: 46 014 (2002). Area: 896 sq. km (346 sq. miles)
2. a town in SE Republic of Ireland, county town of Co. Carlow. Pop.: 18 487 (2002)
Collins Discovery Encyclopedia, 1st edition © HarperCollins Publishers 2005