Chechulin, Dmitrii Nikolaevich
Born Aug. 9 (22), 1901, in Shostka, in present-day Sumy Oblast, Ukrainian SSR. Soviet architect. People’s Architect of the USSR (1971); Hero of Socialist Labor (1976). Member of the CPSU since 1945.
Chechulin graduated from the architecture school of the Moscow VKhutein (Higher Art and Technical Institute) in 1929. He studied with A. V. Shchusev. As chief architect of the city of Moscow from 1945 to 1949, Chechulin made major contributions to the reconstruction of the city. His designs for the Komsomol’-skaia (first line, 1935), Kievskaia (second line, 1937–38), and Dynamo (ground-level vestibule, 1938) subway stations were awarded the State Prize of the USSR in 1941. Chechulin also designed the Tchaikovsky Concert Hall (1940, with K. K. Orlov), the new Moscow Council building (1945, with others), a high-rise apartment house on Kotel’nicheskaia Esplanade (1948–52, with A. K. Rostkovskii; State Prize of the USSR, 1953), the Hotel Rossiia and the Central Concert Hall (1967–74, with P. P. Shteller and others), the Library of Foreign Literature (1967, with V. A. Sitnov and others), and the Hall of Councils of the RSFSR (begun in 1968, with P. P. Shteller and others).
Chechulin was a deputy to the second convocation of the Supreme Soviet of the USSR. He was awarded the Order of Lenin, four other orders, and various medals.