Chekhov Printing Combine

The following article is from The Great Soviet Encyclopedia (1979). It might be outdated or ideologically biased.

Chekhov Printing Combine

 

the largest printing establishment for periodicals in the USSR, located in the city of Chekhov, Moscow Oblast. Construction was begun in 1959; the first stage began operations in 1966, and the second stage in 1972. In 1975 the Chekhov Printing Combine became the leading enterprise of the production association Periodika. The combine is equipped with modern, high-efficiency facilities and uses advanced technology for letterpress and offset printing and gravure as well as phototypesetting and automatic transfer machines for the production of books and pamphlets. In 1975 the combine printed 235 periodicals of different titles in Russian and in foreign languages, with a daily production of 900,000 copies. Since 1975 it has also printed a large number of hard-cover books and pamphlets. Between 1970 and 1975 production volume increased by 280 percent. The first stage of an automated production control system based on the Minsk-32 digital computer began operation in 1975.

The Great Soviet Encyclopedia, 3rd Edition (1970-1979). © 2010 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.