Cheliabinsk Metallurgical Plant

The following article is from The Great Soviet Encyclopedia (1979). It might be outdated or ideologically biased.

Cheliabinsk Metallurgical Plant

 

a leading fully integrated enterprise of the USSR for the production of quality steels. Located in the city of Cheliabinsk, the plant specializes in the production of sheets and standardized rolled products; steel for ball bearings; and stainless, structural, and transformer steels. The plant also manufactures coke by-products, products obtained from the processing of metallurgical slags, and consumer goods.

Construction of the Cheliabinsk Metallurgical Plant began during the Great Patriotic War of 1941–45, and the first metallurgical unit began operating in 1943. The plant has high-output metallurgical equipment and makes extensive use of the latest production processes. On several occasions it has occupied first place in socialist competition with other enterprises of its branch of industry. The plant was awarded the Order of the October Revolution in 1976 and the Order of the Red Banner of Labor in 1966.

O. A. LABUNOVICH

The Great Soviet Encyclopedia, 3rd Edition (1970-1979). © 2010 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.