Cherepet State Regional Hydroelectric Power Plant

The following article is from The Great Soviet Encyclopedia (1979). It might be outdated or ideologically biased.

Cherepet’ State Regional Hydroelectric Power Plant

 

a steam power plant in the city of Suvorov, Tula Oblast, RSFSR. The plant has an installed capacity of 1,500 megawatts (MW), supplied by four 150-MW and three 300-MW turbines in unit with boilers. Brown coal from fields near Moscow is used as fuel in the 150-MW units, and hard coal from the Kuznetsk Coal Basin is used in the 300-MW units. The water supply circulates from a reservoir and cooling plant on the Cherepet’ River. Construction of the plant began in 1950; the first unit went into operation in 1953, and the seventh in 1966. Power is transmitted over high-voltage lines at voltages of 110 and 220 kilovolts to the Integrated Electric Power Grid of the USSR.

The Great Soviet Encyclopedia, 3rd Edition (1970-1979). © 2010 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.