Chernyshev, Sergei Egorovich
Born Oct. 4 (16), 1881, in the village of Aleksandrovka, in what is now Moscow Oblast; died April 26,1963, in Moscow. Soviet architect.
Chernyshev graduated from the Moscow School of Painting, Sculpture, and Architecture in 1901 and from the St. Petersburg Academy of Arts in 1907. At the latter institution he studied under L. Ñ. Benois. Chernyshev was chief architect of Moscow from 1934 to 1941. He was chairman of the board of architecture of the Moscow city executive committee from 1944 to 1948 and first secretary of the Architects’ Union of the USSR from 1950 to 1955. Chernyshev taught at the Moscow Vkhutemas-Vkhutein (State Higher Arts and Technical Studios-Higher Art and Technical Institute) from 1918 to 1930 and at the Moscow Architectural Institute from 1931 to 1950.
Among Chernyshev’s works were a general plan for the reconstruction of Moscow (with architect V. N. Semenov and others, 1931–35) and the Moscow University complex on the Lenin Hills (with architects P. V. Abrosimov, L. V. Rudnev, A. F. Khriakov, and others, 1949–53; State Prize of the USSR, 1949). Chernyshev was awarded the Order of Lenin, two other orders, and various medals.