Also found in: Wikipedia.
a city and administrative center of Cherven’ Raion, Minsk Oblast, Byelorussian SSR. Cherven’ is located 62 km southeast of Minsk and 30 km from the Pukhovichi railroad station; it is on the Minsk-Mogilev motor highway. The city has a milk plant, a vegetable-dehydration plant, a winery, a bread-baking combine, and a wood-products enterprise.
(also Cherven’; Polish, Czerwień), an ancient Russian city on the left bank of the Khuchva River, a tributary of the Zapadnyi Bug.
The earliest known reference to Cherven occurs in the Primary Chronicle in the entry for the year 981. The city was the center of the upper Zapadnyi Bug region and gave its name to the Cherven cities. As a result of archaeological excavations in the 1950’s and 1960’s, scholars have determined that Cherven was located in the vicinity of the present-day village of Czermno, Lublin Województwo, Poland.