cockscomb(redirected from Chicken crest)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus.
[Gr.,=unfading], common name for the Amaranthaceae (also commonly known as the pigweed family), a family of herbs, trees, and vines of warm regions, especially in the Americas and Africa.
..... Click the link for more information. .
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia™ Copyright © 2013, Columbia University Press. Licensed from Columbia University Press. All rights reserved. www.cc.columbia.edu/cu/cup/
1. A piece of sheet steel with a toothed edge along the long dimension; used to level and scratch plaster to produce a key for the next coat; a comb.
2. A tool consisting of a steel plate having a finely serrated edge; used to dress stone by dragging it back and forth across the surface.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Architecture and Construction. Copyright © 2003 by McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
1. an amaranthaceous garden or pot plant, Celosia cristata, with yellow, crimson, or purple feathery plumelike flowers in a broad spike resembling the comb of a cock
2. any similar species of Celosia
3. the comb of a domestic cock
Collins Discovery Encyclopedia, 1st edition © HarperCollins Publishers 2005