Also found in: Wikipedia.
(Monastery of Metropolitan Aleksei and the Archangel Michael), a monastery founded in the Moscow Kremlin circa 1358–65 by Metropolitan Aleksei. Until 1561 the superior of the monastery was considered first among the fathers superior of Russian monasteries. In the late 14th century, the monastery became a major center of Russian culture. From the 15th to the 17th centuries it included a workshop for transcribing manuscripts, where Maksim Grek worked from 1518 to 1525. Under Filaret a Greco-Latin school was opened in the monastery.
In the 1930’s the monastery’s buildings, which had been constructed in the 16th to 19th centuries, were razed. The monastery’s collection of manuscripts from the 11th to 18th centuries is now preserved in the manuscript department of the State Historical Museum.