Chusovoi Metallurgical Works

Chusovoi Metallurgical Works


one of the oldest plants in the Urals, located in the city of Chusovoi, Perm’ Oblast. The USSR’s leading fully integrated enterprise for the production of ferrovanadium, the Chusovoi Metallurgical Works is a major supplier of complex shaped sections, quality spring strips, and finished automotive springs.

The works was founded in 1879 by a French joint-stock company and produced commercial metal until the October Revolution in 1917. It was nationalized in 1918. The workers of the enterprise were active in the revolutionary movement. A mass meeting to protest against the Lena massacre was held at the works in 1912, and one of the largest strikes in the Urals took place there in 1914.

During the Civil War and Military Intervention of 1918–20, the Chusovoi Metallurgical Works filled military orders, producing steel armor for armored trains and river vessels. During the Soviet period, the works was completely modernized. In the 1930s, a blast furnace, a new model 370 section mill for rolling spring strips, a model 800 billet mill, and a ferroalloy pilot plant were put into operation. During the Great Patriotic War of 1941–45, the works produced special ammunition for the needs of the front; a sintering plant, a new blast furnace, and the first Bessemer plant in the Urals were put into operation.

Between 1950 and 1980, two open-hearth furnaces, a new ferroalloy plant, and a new automotive-spring plant were built. Between 1966 and 1975, the output of pig iron increased by 20 percent, the output of steel increased by 16 percent, and the output of finished rolled products increased by 13 percent.