Chigirin(redirected from Chyhyryn)
Also found in: Wikipedia.
a city and administrative center of Chigirin Raion, Cherkassy Oblast, Ukrainian SSR. Chigirin is situated on the Tiasmin River, a tributary of the Dnieper, 36 km from the railroad station of Fundukleevka on the Znamenka-Imeni Tarasa Shevchenko line, and 63 km southeast of Cherkass. It has enterprises for the production of leather clothing accessories, furs, furniture, accessories, bricks, and foodstuffs. The city has a museum of local lore.
Chigirin has been known since the first half of the 16th century, when it was a fortified cossack wintering site. From 1648 to 1657 it was the seat of the Ukrainian hetman B. Khmel’nitskii. Chigirin was destroyed by Turkish and Tatar invaders during the Chigirin Campaigns of 1677–78. In 1795 it became a district capital in Voznesensk Province, and in 1797, a district capital in Kiev Province. In 1876–77 Chigirin District was the scene of an attempted peasant uprising under the leadership of the Narodniki (Populists).