Ciudad Juárez


Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Wikipedia.

Juárez

Juárez, officially Heroica Ciudad Juárez, city (1990 pop. 789,522) Chihuahua state, N Mexico, on the Rio Grande opposite El Paso, Tex. Connected with the United States by three international bridges, it is a shipping point and highway and rail terminus. It is also the commercial and processing center for the surrounding cotton-growing area. Except for the river valley, under intense cultivation southeast of the city, Juárez is hemmed in by desert. It has experienced extremely rapid population growth and has been a favored location for the placement of maquiladoras, foreign-owned manufacturing plants that finish goods for sale in the United States.

Developing (1659) as the focal point for Spanish colonial expansion to the north, it was originally called El Paso del Norte and included settlements on both sides of the river, until they were split by the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo (1848), which ended the Mexican War. In 1888 the name of the Mexican town was changed to honor Benito Juárez, who made it his capital when exiled from central Mexico. The city was captured by Pascual Orozco and Francisco Villa in the early days of the revolution in 1910. From 2008 to 2011 the city was notorious as the most deadly scene of Mexico's drug-related violence.

The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia™ Copyright © 2022, Columbia University Press. Licensed from Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
The following article is from The Great Soviet Encyclopedia (1979). It might be outdated or ideologically biased.

Ciudad Juárez

 

a city in northern Mexico, in the state of Chihuahua. Situated on the Río Bravo del Norte (Rio Grande), across the border from El Paso, Texas (USA), with which it is linked by bridge. Population, 475,000 (1973). Ciudad Juárez is a highway and railroad junction linking Mexican routes with the transportation network of the USA. It has enterprises of the food-processing, textile, and metalworking industries. There is also tourism, mainly from the USA. The city was founded in 1659.

The Great Soviet Encyclopedia, 3rd Edition (1970-1979). © 2010 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.
Mentioned in ?