Olsztyn (redirected from Coat of Arms of Olsztyn)
Also found in: Dictionary
Olsztyn (ôlˈshtĭn), Ger. Allenstein, city (1993 est. pop. 165,600), capital of Warmińsko-Mazurskie prov., N Poland. It is a trade, manufacturing, and railroad center, as well as a popular health resort. Founded (1348) by the Teutonic Knights, who built its impressive castle, it was ceded to Poland in 1466 and to Prussia in 1772. The city was retained by Germany after a plebiscite in 1920. It suffered heavy damage in World War II and reverted to Poland in 1945.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia™ Copyright © 2022, Columbia University Press. Licensed from Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
The following article is from The Great Soviet Encyclopedia (1979). It might be outdated or ideologically biased.
a city in northern Poland and the administrative center of Olsztyn Województwo. Population, 106,000 (1973). Transportation junction. Olsztyn has a large tire factory and enterprises of the machine-building, woodworking (including furniture), and food industries.
REFERENCEWakar, A. Olsztyn, vol. 1. Warsaw, 1971.
The Great Soviet Encyclopedia, 3rd Edition (1970-1979). © 2010 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.
a town in NE Poland: founded in 1334 by the Teutonic Knights; communications centre. Pop.: 176 000 (2005 est.)
Collins Discovery Encyclopedia, 1st edition © HarperCollins Publishers 2005