Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Acronyms, Wikipedia.
Como(kō`mō), city (1991 pop. 87,059), capital of Como prov., Lombardy, N Italy, at the southwest end of Lake Como, near the Swiss border. It is an important tourist center and is noted for its silk industry. Originally a Roman colony, Como became an independent commune in the 11th cent. and was frequently at war with, and ruled by, Milan. It later came under Spanish and Austrian control and was liberated by Garibaldi in 1859. In the Middle Ages and the Renaissance, artisans, architects, and sculptors from Como (the maestri comacini) were renowned throughout Italy. The city has a remarkable marble cathedral (14th–18th cent.), a 13th-century city hall, and several Romanesque churches.
a city in Lombardy, in northern Italy. Como is situated on the picturesque southwestern shore of Lake Como, in the alpine piedmont of Lombardy. It is the administrative center of the province of Como. Population, 95,600 (1970). Railroad junction. Silk, machine tools and instruments, and clocks are produced; there also are electrical-engineering and wood-products industries. Como is the site of Romanesque churches, a Gothic town hall (13th century), and a Gothic cathedral (14th to 18th centuries). Examples of the city’s modern architecture are buildings by G. Terragni (from the late 1920’s to the 1930’s).
REFERENCEGiusti, G.P. Itinerario storico-romantico: Como ele ville del Lario. Como, 1957.
a lake at the southern foot of the Alps in northern Italy, at an altitude of 198 m. Length, 50 km; width, up to 4.5 km; area, 146 sq km; maximum depth, 410 m. The basin is tectonic and glacial in origin. The shores are mostly precipitous, rocky, and high. In the central part the lake branches into two arms. The Adda River, a left tributary of the Po, flows through the lake. In the north the Mera-Liro River drains into Lake Como. There is fishing; trout, whitefish, and carp are bred. Lake Como is navigable. Many resorts are located along the lake, the principal ones being the cities of Como and Lecco.