Compiègne Armistice of 1940(redirected from Compiegne Armistice of 1940)
Compiègne Armistice of 1940
concluded on June 22 between fascist Germany and the capitulating French government of H. P. Petain in the same place (and in the very same railroad coach) where the Compiégne Armistice of 1918 had been signed.
Petain’s government agreed to the complete cessation of resistance, the partition of France and the occupation by fascist German troops of nearly two-thirds of French territory (including Paris), the disarmament and demobilization of the French Army and Navy with the exception of units “necessary for the maintenance of order,” the surrender of armaments to the fascist German command, and the reimbursement of expenses for the maintenance of the German occupation army. On the basis of the armistice and with the assistance of the collaborationist Vichy regime, fascist Germany held France in slavery for four years. With the liberation of France in 1944 the armistice automatically ceased to be operative.