Coquilhatville


Also found in: Dictionary.

Coquilhatville,

Congo (Kinshasa): see MbandakaMbandaka
, formerly Coquilhatville
, city (1984 pop. 137,291), capital of Équateur prov., W Congo (Kinshasa), a port on the Congo River. It is a commercial and transportation center and has tanning and fishing industries.
..... Click the link for more information.
.
Mentioned in ?
References in periodicals archive ?
Among them was Paul Bolya, a medical assistant from Coquilhatville, who attended the round-table negotiations in Brussels that paved the way to independence (Sabakinu Kivilu 2005).
After independence, it seems that every (African) woman in Coquilhatville and its surroundings wished to give birth in the prestigious Clinique.
Independence was a violent dawn in Coquilhatville, as in many other Congolese cities, with Congolese soldiers mutinying, demanding higher wages and ranks.
(1956) Le Centre Extra-coutumier de Coquilhatville. Brussels: Institut de Sociologie Solvay, Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
(1992) 'Ernest Itela: chef du CEC de Coquilhatville (1934-1953)', Annates /Equatoria 13: 499-504.
(2002) 'Patel Ismail Youssuf: un batisseur de Coquilhatville, 1934-1969', Annales AEquatoria 23: 217-44.
(2001) 'La Guerre de 1945-45 vecue a Coquilhatville (Mbandaka, RDC)', Annales AEquatoria 22: 21-101.
Delobbe (1986) 'Le Cercle Leopold II a Coquilhatville (Mbandaka)', Annales ASquatoria 7: 337-44.
(4) In his report dated 21 July 1919, the inspecteur Medical Cammermeyer couched it in the following fine words: 'The signboard "Hospital for whites 1913" on the building destined to accommodate the diseased white in Coquilhatville is the only thing that recalls a hospital' ('La plaque "Hopital des blancs 1913" que porte le batiment destine a heberger des blancs malades a Coquilhatville est la seule chose qui fait penser a un hopital').
In 1930, the African population of Coquilhatville was 8,880 (Claeys 2009: 195).
Province de Coquilhatville. District Coquilhatville.
(27) Their meeting place in Coquilhatville, the Cercle Culturel Leopold II, was founded in 1944 and had 200 members (Vinck and Delobbe 1986).