Correspondence Polytechnical Institute

Correspondence Polytechnical Institute

 

(All-Union Correspondence Polytechnical Institute), a correspondence institute founded in 1932 in Moscow.

In 1972 the Correspondence Polytechnical Institute included ten departments: power engineering, construction, machine building, chemical technology, metallurgy, electrophysics, auto mechanics, mining, industrial economics, and petroleum. Moreover, there is a department for upgrading the qualifications of power engineers. The institute offers postgraduate work and has 66 subdepartments. There is a problems laboratory for use together with educational television and 140 scientific-research and teaching laboratories. The institute has six branches (in Gubkin, Kolomna, Magadan, Orsk, Podol’sk, and Riazan’) and 20 curriculum consultation centers in various cities throughout the country. There are 850,000 items in the institute’s library. During the academic year 1971–72 the institute enrolled in its correspondence and evening courses about 34,000 students in 48 areas of specialization; in addition there were about 7,000 students enrolled in residence and correspondence preparatory courses. There are about 900 teachers, including more than 50 professors holding the degree of doctor of sciences and about 350 docents holding the degree of candidate of sciences. The Correspondence Polytechnical Institute accepts candidates’ dissertations for defense. Since 1952 it has published Collected Articles as well as various other educational and methodological literature, including material for use in the country’s other higher educational institutions. Between 1932 and 1971 the Institute trained about 40,000 engineers.

S. K. KANTENIK

Full browser ?