Crimean Canning Combine

The following article is from The Great Soviet Encyclopedia (1979). It might be outdated or ideologically biased.

Crimean Canning Combine

 

a large enterprise of the USSR food industry (city of Krymsk, Krasnodar Krai, RSFSR).

The combine produces a wide assortment of canned goods, principally fruits and vegetables, but also meat, meats and vegetables, and frozen products (quick-frozen fruits and vegetables and culinary products). It was built in 1930 with a planned production capacity of 65 million standard jars. During the Great Patriotic War of 1941–45 the combine was completely destroyed. It was rebuilt in 1950 with a capacity of up to 80 million standard jars. In 1966–70 there was a substantial increase in the capacities for production of canned green peas, tomato paste, tomato juice, dinners, hors d’oeuvres, and meats and vegetables, as well as quick-frozen products. The combine converted to continual year-round operation.

Production capacity on Jan. 1, 1971, was 185.9 million standard jars, including 170.9 million jars of fruits and vegetables and 15 million jars of meat. The combine was awarded the Order of Lenin in 1971.

L. P. IASTREBTSEVA

The Great Soviet Encyclopedia, 3rd Edition (1970-1979). © 2010 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.