Crimean Forest and Game Reserve

The following article is from The Great Soviet Encyclopedia (1979). It might be outdated or ideologically biased.

Crimean Forest and Game Reserve

 

located in the Glavnyi Ridge of the Crimean Mountains. Area, 26,600 hectares.

It was formed in 1957 on the site of the Crimean Forest Preserve, which had existed there since 1923. It includes two approximately equal parts—the forest preserve, with complete protection of the entire natural complex, and the forest and game reserve, where sportsmen may hunt under extreme limitations. Of the entire territory 90 percent is covered by forest. Oak (from 400 to 600 m) and beech (600 to 1,300 m) forests predominate on the northern slopes of the mountains; Crimean pine (700 to 1,000 m) and Scotch pine (1,000 to 1,200 m) predominate on the southern slopes; higher is a zone of mountain meadows (iaily). A thicket of the European white birch has been preserved; also found are relicts of preglacial flora—yew and the dendroid juniper. Mouflon and the squirrel Sciurus vulgaris exalbidus have been acclimatized; other inhabitants are the Crimean deer, roe deer, boar, stone marten, fox, badger, European hare, the leopard snake, and the Crimean native—the naked-toed gecko Gymnodactylus russowi; in the rivers are brook and rainbow trout, chub, barbel, and other fish.

REFERENCE

Krymskoe gosudarstvennoe zapovedno-okhotnich’e khoziaistvo (50 let). [Collection of articles.] Simferopol’, 1963.
The Great Soviet Encyclopedia, 3rd Edition (1970-1979). © 2010 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.