Cumberland Presbyterian Church


Also found in: Acronyms, Wikipedia.

Cumberland Presbyterian Church,

branch of the Presbyterian Church in the United States founded in 1810. In 1906 many of its congregations were united with the main body of the church. It began as a revival movement in the "Cumberland country," a newly settled region of Kentucky and Tennessee. The Cumberland Presbyterian Church has about 88,000 members (1997). In 1869 the 20,000 black members of the pre–Civil War church began to organize a separate church, the Colored Cumberland Presbyterian Church, now called the Cumberland Presbyterian Church in America.
References in periodicals archive ?
in Memphis on April 4, 1968, involved the Joint Committee's member from the Cumberland Presbyterian Church.
Perhaps this continued resistance to organizing authorities, particularly those affiliated with both county government and missionary outreach, is why census takers in 1850 found seven Baptist churches scattered around the county, clearly the strongest showing of any denomination, but only one Baptist minister, one Methodist minister (but no Methodist church), four Christian ministers (but only two churches), and one minister for the central Cumberland Presbyterian church.
The church is now subdivided into the main body, called the United Presbyterian Church in the United States of America; the smaller Presbyterian Church in the United States, based largely in the South, which broke from the main body over the issue of slavery; and the Cumberland Presbyterian Church in the United States and Africa, composed largely of African American members.
After wedding receptions in Bartlett, Tennessee, hosted by the groom's parents, Cumberland Presbyterian Church, and in Little Rock, Arkansas, hosted by the bride's parents, the couple now resides in Maumelle, Arkansas.
DONDE: First Cumberland Presbyterian Church, 2119 Avalon Place.

Full browser ?