customs(redirected from Customs (tax))
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Legal, Financial.
1. duty on imports or exports
2. the government department responsible for the collection of these duties
3. the part of a port, airport, frontier station, etc., where baggage and freight are examined for dutiable goods and contraband
4. the procedure for examining baggage and freight, paying duty, etc.
5. (as modifier): customs officer
Collins Discovery Encyclopedia, 1st edition © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
A government organization responsible for levying taxes against imported and exported items that exceed duty-free allowances. Customs staff is required to be available at every international airport.
An Illustrated Dictionary of Aviation Copyright © 2005 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved