Czechoslovak Academy of Sciences


Also found in: Wikipedia.

Czechoslovak Academy of Sciences

 

(Československá Akademie Věd), the highest scientific institution in the Czechoslovak Socialist Republic and the Czech Socialist Republic. Founded in Prague in 1952, the academy includes the Slovak Academy of Sciences. Its predecessors were the Royal Bohemian Society of Sciences (1790) and the Czech Academy of Arts and Sciences (1890). The academy carries on the progressive traditions of Czech and Slovak science.

In 1976 the academy, with more than 150 members, included 19 scientific boards responsible for the development of their respective disciplines and 135 research institutes, of which 60 were institutes of the Slovak Academy of Sciences. Twenty-three of these institutes are conducting research in mathematics, physics, geology, and geography; 15 in the technical sciences; 11 in chemistry; 33 in biology, medicine, and agriculture; and 34 in the social sciences. The academy also serves as an advisory body to the government of Czechoslovakia on scientific matters. The first president of the academy was Z. Nejedlý; since 1970 the post has been held by Academician J. Kožešnǐk, a foreign member of the Academy of Sciences of the USSR since 1971.

The academy plans the development of Czechoslovak science, prepares government plans for basic research, coordinates and directs the execution of such plans, trains scientific workers, and represents Czechoslovak science abroad. As of 1974, more than 13,000 workers were employed by the academy’s institutions, including some 5,500 workers with higher education.

References in periodicals archive ?
In 1952, he assumed the post of chairman of the government committee for the building of the Czechoslovak Academy of Sciences, and subsequently even served as Minister of Education (1953-54), and Minister of Culture (1954-60).
Your professional career may be divided into two phases: 30 years in the Czechoslovak Academy of Sciences, and then your affiliation became, and still is, the Department of English and American studies (since 1994 renamed into the Institute of English and American Studies, after the split into two chairs in 2008 renamed to Department of English Language and ELT Methodology) of the Faculty of Arts, Charles University, Prague.
My work in the Czechoslovak Academy of Sciences did not start in a purely academic environment.
The first edition was published in 1977 by Academia Publishing House of the Czechoslovak Academy of Sciences in Prague and the Noordhoff International Publishing in Leiden.
See for example, too, Oldrich Mesaros, Zhodnoceni soucasneho stavu a perspektivy hospodarske spoluprace mezi CSFR a CLR ["Evaluation of the Current Situation and Prospects of the Economic Co-operation Between the CSFR and PRC"], Prague: Institute of Economics of the Czechoslovak Academy of Sciences, 1990, 25-6.
Having been associated with the Institute of Biology of the Czechoslovak Academy of Sciences, he left Czechoslovakia in 1967 for political reasons and established permanent residence in the United States.
One delicate fragment from the past, a badly decayed sheathed sword, was unearthed during an archaeological dig in 1990, performed by what was then the Czechoslovak Academy of Sciences, according to Vladimir Ustohal, a professor at the Brno University of Technology, who analyzed the artifact.
A year before, an Institute of Musicology had been founded in the Czechoslovak Academy of Sciences with the task of writing the history of Czech Music of the 20th century and Lebl took over responsibility specifically for the first part, dealing with the period 1890-1918.