Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Idioms, Wikipedia.
1. any of a number of preparations made by dissolving cellulose derivatives in a volatile solvent, applied to fabric in order to improve strength, tautness, etc.
2. an additive used to improve the properties of something, such as an antiknock compound added to petrol
a. any illegal drug, usually cannabis
b. (as modifier): a dope fiend
4. a drug administered to a racehorse or greyhound to affect its performance
5. US and Canadian informal a photographic developing solution
A cellulose ester lacquer used as an adhesive or a coating.
1. A material added to a building material such as mortar or plaster to retard or accelerate the set.
2. A material added to a batch of paint to adjust it to specifications.
3. A solution of cellulose nitrate applied to a porous fabric as a protective coating.
4. A compound used in making a pipe joint, as a lubricant and to ensure a leakproof joint.
A finishing thick liquid applied to fabric, normally covering the wing or control surfaces, to tauten it from shrinking, strengthen it, and render it airtight by acting as filler.