Damodar


Also found in: Dictionary, Wikipedia.

Damodar

(dä`mōdär), river, 370 mi (595 km) long, rising in Jharkhand state, E India, and flowing SE through West Bengal state to join the Hugli River below Kolkata (Calcutta). Its dams supply hydroelectric power for one of India's most significant mining districts and extensive irrigation for agricultural concerns in the region.

Damodar

 

a river in India, in the states of Bihar and West Bengal. Length, approximately 580 km. Its source is on the Chotanagpur Plateau. The middle and lower reaches of the Damodar are on the Indo-Ganges plain. The river empties into the Hooghly River, a right branch of the Ganges delta. Its main tributary is the Barakar River, which enters it from the left. The Damodar overflows its banks in the summer and fall, sometimes with catastrophic floods. It is navigable in its lower reaches. The largest hydropower system in India—the Damodar Hydropower System—is located in the Damodar basin.

Damodar

a river in NE India, rising in Jharkhand and flowing east through West Bengal to the Hooghly River: the Damodar Valley is an important centre of heavy industry.
References in periodicals archive ?
The young Damodar will be accompanied by pianist Dingdong Fiel who earned his Bachelor of Music degree from the University of Santo Tomas Conservatory of Music in 2007 and had postgraduate studies at the Franz Liszt Hochschule Fur Musik in Weimar, Germany.
Damodar joined the prize-winning Manila Symphony Junior Orchestra (MSJO) at seven years old and became the youngest prize-winner of the National Competition for Young Artists (NAMCYA).
Aadhi wants to quit working under Damodar and to lead a normal life.
Damodar said the southern region comprises of Shining Stars, Naledi Nomads and Kgale Kings from Gaborone as well as Southern Rocks from Lobatse, while the northern region has Phikwe Rangers from Selebi Phikwe together with Tati Raiders and Shashe Eagles from Francistown.
9 June 2011 - Rating agency CRISIL yesterday downgraded the ratings on the bank facilities of Indian sponge iron maker Ispat Damodar Ltd to D/P5 from BB/"stable"/P4+.
BEML is investing INR1bn for a 48 percent share, while Coal India and Damodar Valley are sharing the remaining 52 percent share equally.
But on March 14 (Saturday), Damodar will leave Sultanate for good, which according to him is an emotional moment.
Damodar Reddy warned the Chief Minister that if any action was taken against minister for IT Komatireddy Venkat Reddy, there will be serious consequences.
Wise to her oily nemesis's plans, Savina enlists the help of thieves Ridley (Justin Whalin) and Snails (Marlon Wayans) to beat Damodar to the prize.
Summary: Panaji (Goa) [India], May 30 (ANI) In Goa a controversy has erupted over the recent unveiling of a portrait of Vinayak Damodar Savarkar, popularly known as Veer Savarkar in the state secretariat.
Filipino cello prodigy Damodar Das Castillo won first prize in category B (age 11-13) of the International Competition for Young Musicians held in Talinn, Estonia April 9.