Dandy Roll

Also found in: Dictionary, Financial, Wikipedia.

dandy roll

[′dan·dē ‚rōl]
(mechanical engineering)
A roll in a Fourdrinier paper-making machine; used to compact the sheet and sometimes to imprint a watermark.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Scientific & Technical Terms, 6E, Copyright © 2003 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
The following article is from The Great Soviet Encyclopedia (1979). It might be outdated or ideologically biased.

Dandy Roll


a skeleton roll on a paper machine, consisting of a wire frame wrapped with netting. It is designed to level the surface of the paper, improve the paper’s structure and uniformity, and put watermarks on the paper web.


Ivanov, S. N. Tekhnologiia bumagi, 2nd ed. Moscow.
The Great Soviet Encyclopedia, 3rd Edition (1970-1979). © 2010 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.
Mentioned in ?
References in periodicals archive ?
Xerium said that the combined company will have one of the broadest sets of capabilities with respect to spreader rolls, dandy rolls, and tissue embossing rolls in the world.
Woollard & Henry, which manufactures dandy rolls for the paper industry, is an example of an engineering firm that has become an employee-owned company and reaped the benefits.
Lauterbach spoke about the management challenges for a small supplier competing in the paper industry, characterizing it as being a "David among Goliaths." His company produces dandy rolls, bowed rolls, and spreader rolls.