Jamestown weed

(redirected from Datura stramonium)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Wikipedia.

Jamestown weed:

see Jimson weedJimson weed
or Jamestown weed,
large, coarse annual plant (Datura stramonium) of the family Solanaceae (nightshade family), native to warm-temperate and tropical regions of the New World, but long widely distributed and often weedy.
..... Click the link for more information.
.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia™ Copyright © 2013, Columbia University Press. Licensed from Columbia University Press. All rights reserved. www.cc.columbia.edu/cu/cup/
Mentioned in ?
References in periodicals archive ?
Allouni, "Etude de la toxicite des alcaloides totaux des graines de Datura stramonium L.
KEYWORDS: Co-culture, Tomato, Datura stramonium L, intercropping, Alleopathic.
Keywords: Datura stramonium, anticholinergic, poisoning
De modo complementario se incorporo a esta coleccion otra especie conocida por la presencia de alcaloides y sus efectos visionarios, Datura stramonium L., citada en los relatos etnograficos (Hilger 1957).
Datura are potent medicinal members of the Solanaceae family, relatives of other well known strnomium plants Various species of Datura as traditional medicine worldwide, primary among them are Datura innoxia, Datura metel, and Datura stramonium. Datura has been used both as medicinal and ceremonial plant in many diverse cultures including Chinese, Indian, Mexican and Native Americans of the Southwest.
CAROL: It's a thorn apple, Datura stramonium, and every bit of it is poisonous.
Hi David, Yes, that looks like the thorn apple (Datura stramonium) which is an annual weed.
So this study has been planned to investigate and compare the phytochemicals mineral composition and vitamin C contents of two indigenous medicinal plants Datura stramonium and Nerium oleander.
We were very interested to read the article by Kelly Melvin and David Hourani in the January/February 2014 issue of the West Virginia Medical Journal regarding a case of Datura stramonium ingestion being misdiagnosed as cathinone intoxication.