Also found in: Wikipedia.
a city (until 1940, a settlement) in Moscow Oblast, RSFSR. It is situated on the Volokolamsk highway and on the Moscow-Rzhev railroad line, 38 km west of Moscow. Population, 25,000 (1970). Its spinning and weaving factory, built in 1913, was retooled in the 1940’s to produce cord. Other industries include a ceramics plant and a shoe factory.