Also found in: Wikipedia.
Dimitrovgrad(dĭmē`trôvgrät), city (1993 pop. 50,740), S Bulgaria, on the Maritsa River. Located on the Belgrade-Sofia-İstanbul RR, the city has one of Bulgaria's largest cement works, as well as several thermoelectric power stations that provide power to coal-mining areas nearby. The city was built in 1947 and incorporated three existing towns—Rakovski, Mariino, and Chernakonovo. Several engineering schools are in the city, which is named for Bulgarian Communist leader Georgi Dimitrov.
a city in southern Bulgaria on the banks of the Maritsa River. Formed in 1947 by merging the settlements of Rakovski, Mariino, and Chernokonevo. Named in honor of G. M. Dimitrov. Population, 44,000 by 1969 (9,000 in 1947).
Dimitrovgrad, situated in the fertile lowlands of the western Maritsa brown coal basin, is an important transportation junction and a center of power engineering and heavy industry. Electric power plants (operating on brown coal), cement and slate factories, and the Dimitrovgrad chemical combine were built with technical assistance from the USSR. The city is noted for its production of canned fruits and vegetables. Constructed according to a unified plan, Dimitrovgrad has well-built modern housing complexes with entertainment and shopping facilities, parks, and broad treelined streets. There is a museum of socialist construction and a planetarium.