inguinal hernia

(redirected from Direct inguinal hernia)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Wikipedia.
Related to Direct inguinal hernia: femoral hernia

inguinal hernia

[′iŋ·gwən·əl ′her·nē·ə]
(medicine)
Protrusion of the abdominal viscera through the inguinal canal.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Scientific & Technical Terms, 6E, Copyright © 2003 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
References in periodicals archive ?
[3] Two thirds of these are indirect and the remainder are direct inguinal hernias. Femoral hernias comprise only 3% of all groin hernias.
In our study direct inguinal hernia were mostly observed in old aged patients 19 (44.18%) patients while remaining indirect hernia 24(55.81%) patients .However in international study direct hernia was seen in 30 patients (52.63%) and indirect hernia was seen in 27 (47.36%) patients.
Objective: To compare the operative time, the postoperative pain scores, duration of hospital stay and wound infection rates between Lichtenstein and totally extra peritoneal (TEP) laparoscopic hernia repair for direct inguinal hernias.
Furthermore, indirect and direct inguinal hernias occur in a more anterior plane than do femoral hernias.
Forty percent (n= 30) of cases on preoperative examination had a direct inguinal hernia and 60% (n= 45) had an indirect hernia in Group 1, amongst Group 2 64% (n= 48) had a direct inguinal hernia and 36% (n= 27) had an indirect inguinal hernia on preoperative examination.
A hernia starting in this fossa may protrude through the abdominal wall as a direct inguinal hernia (External supravesical hernia) or it remains within the abdomen, passing into spaces around the bladder (Internal supravesical hernia).
For direct inguinal hernia, defect was circumscribed at its base, the contents were fully reduced and the preperitoneal space was created.
(%) 1 Indirect inguinal hernia 32 (59.3%) 2 Direct inguinal hernia 19 (35.2%) 3 Combined inguinal hernia 3 (5.5%) (Indirect + Direct) Total 54 (100%) Table 2: Operative Results Type of Anaesthesia Total Spinal anaesthesia/SA 47 cases Epidural 7 cases Duration of Operation (Minutes) Mean 38.6 minutes Range 35-45 minutes Table 3: Pain Scoring Chart Numeric Scale to describe Pain and Affect on ADLs.

Full browser ?