Dnepropetrovsk, University of

The following article is from The Great Soviet Encyclopedia (1979). It might be outdated or ideologically biased.

Dnepropetrovsk, University of

 

founded 1918. Since 1954, it has been called Dnepropetrovsk State University of the 300th Anniversary of the Reunification of the Ukraine With Russia. As of 1970 the university included departments of mathematical mechanics, physics, physics and technology, chemistry, biology, and history and philology, as well as a correspondence department, a department for advanced training of instructors at higher educational institutions, and an evening division. Graduate studies are offered, and there are scientific research institutes of geology and hydrobiology, 15 specialized and scientific research laboratories, a botanical garden, and a zoological museum. The library contains about 1 million volumes.

In the academic year 1970-71, Dnepropetrovsk University had more than 11,000 students and more than 800 instructors, including 31 professors and doctors of science, and 287 do-cents and candidates of science. Associated with the university is the activity of such well-known scholars as academicians L. V. Pisarzhevskii, A. N. Dinnik, G. V. Kurdiumov, A. D. Kozachkovskii, P. P. Shirshov, G. N. Savin, and M. K. langel’. Since it was founded, the university has trained more than 20,000 specialists. Since 1937 the university has issued Nauchnye zapiski (Scientific Notes), and it also publishes academic and scientific literature. In 1968, Dnepropetrovsk University was awarded the Order of the Red Banner of Labor for services in the training of specialists.

V. L. ONISHCHENKO

The Great Soviet Encyclopedia, 3rd Edition (1970-1979). © 2010 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.