Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus.
Dnipro,river, Ukraine: see DnieperDnieper
, Belarusian Dnyapro, Rus. Dnepr, Ukr. Dnipro, river, c.1,430 mi (2,300 km) long, in Russia, Belarus, and Ukraine. One of the longest rivers in Europe, it rises in the Valdai Hills, W of Moscow.
..... Click the link for more information. .
Dnipropetrovsk(dənyĭp'rōpĕtrôfsk`), Rus. Dnepropetrovsk, city (1990 est. pop. 1,186,000), capital of Dnipropetrovsk region, central Ukraine, on the Dnieper River. A hub of rail and water transportation, it is a major industrial center with a huge iron and steel industry based on iron ore from the nearby Kryviy Rih mines and coal from the Donets Basin. The city also has plants producing heavy machinery, chemicals, rolling stock, and food products. Among its cultural institutions are art, historical, and zoological museums.
Founded in 1787 by PotemkinPotemkin, Grigori Aleksandrovich
, 1739–91, Russian field marshal and favorite of Catherine II. He studied at Moscow Univ. and then entered the army. His part in the coup (1762) that made Catherine czarina brought him to her notice.
..... Click the link for more information. on the site of a Zaporozhian Cossack village, it was named Katerynoslav (Rus. Yekaterinoslav) for Catherine IICatherine II
or Catherine the Great,
1729–96, czarina of Russia (1762–96). Rise to Power
A German princess, the daughter of Christian Augustus, prince of Anhalt-Zerbst, she emerged from the obscurity of her relatively modest background in 1744
..... Click the link for more information. . It was called Novorossiysk from 1791 to 1802 and Katerynoslav until 1926, when it was renamed Dnipropetrovsk after the Dnieper River and the Ukrainian Soviet leader Hryhoriy (or Grigory) I. Petrovsky. The population greatly increased after the completion (1932) of the DniprohesDniprohes
[Ukr. abbr.,=Dnieper hydroelectric station], Rus. Dneproges, a hydroelectric station, central Ukraine, on the Dnieper River near Zaporizhzhya. The hydroelectric station supplies power for the industrial centers of Dnipro (Dnipropetrovsk), Kryvyy Rih, and
..... Click the link for more information. dam and power station. The city was occupied (1941–43) by German forces during World War II. In 2016 it was renamed Dnipro.
(Dnieper), a monthly Ukrainian literary and sociopolitical magazine; organ of the Central Committee of the Ukrainian Lenin Komsomol since 1927. It first appeared under the name Molodniak (1927-37) and later Molodoi bolshevik (1937-41). Publication of the magazine was discontinued for a three-year period but was resumed in 1944 under the name Dnipro. The magazine contains primarily works by young writers. Its circulation in 1971 was 63,000.