Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Wikipedia.
Dodge City,city (1990 pop. 21,129), seat of Ford co., SW Kans., on the Arkansas River; inc. 1875. The distribution center for a wheat and livestock producing area, it also packs meat and makes agricultural implements. Laid out in 1872 near Fort Dodge (1864) on the old Santa Fe Trail, it flourished as a Santa Fe railhead and became a wild cow town; Wyatt EarpEarp, Wyatt Berry Stapp
, 1848–1929, law officer, gambler, and gunfighter of the American West, b. Monmouth, Ill. After serving as police officer in Wichita (1874) and Dodge City (1876–77), Kans.
..... Click the link for more information. and Bat Masterson were among those who helped to curb lawlessness. Fort Dodge has become a soldiers' home. The city hall, formerly located on Boot Hill, an early cowboy burial ground, has been removed to permit enlargement of that tourist attraction. Front Street, with its famous Long Branch Saloon, has been restored. The city holds an annual rodeo.
onetime rowdy cowboy town under supervision of Bat Masterson and Wyatt Earp. [Am. Hist.: NCE, 776]
See: Wild West
a city in SW Kansas, on the Arkansas River: famous as a frontier town on the Santa Fe Trail. Pop.: 25 568 (2003 est.)