Dubrovitsy Church of the Sign

The following article is from The Great Soviet Encyclopedia (1979). It might be outdated or ideologically biased.

Dubrovitsy Church of the Sign

 

a church on the former Golitsyn estate, Dubrovitsy, Podol’sk Raion, Moscow Oblast. The white stone church was built from 1690 to 1704 in a transitional style embracing both late 17th-century Russian architecture and baroque architecture. Centrally planned and quatrefoil it has an octagonal three-storied tower topped with a gilt metal crown. The facades are lavishly decorated with freestanding sculptures and fretwork of white stone; the interior contains high and low stone reliefs that depict a multitude of figures in biblical settings. The wooden iconostasis and the balustrade for the choir are completely covered with gilt carved floral decorations. At the end of the 18th century a manor house in the classical style was built near the church; it now houses the All-Union Institute of Animal Husbandry.

REFERENCE

Il’in, M. A. Podmoskov’e. Moscow, 1965.
The Great Soviet Encyclopedia, 3rd Edition (1970-1979). © 2010 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.