Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Idioms, Wikipedia.
Related to Dutchman: Flying Dutchman
1. a native, citizen, or inhabitant of the Netherlands
2. South African often derogatory an Afrikaaner
Collins Discovery Encyclopedia, 1st edition © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
A filler piece for closing a gap between two pipes or between a pipe or fitting and a piece of equipment, if the pipe is too short to achieve closure or if the pipe and equipment are not aligned.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Scientific & Technical Terms, 6E, Copyright © 2003 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
1. A small piece or wedge inserted as filler to stop an opening.
2. A small piece of material used to cover a defect, to hide a badly made joint, etc.
3. A short lead nipple used to join two pipes which are otherwise not long enough to be joined.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Architecture and Construction. Copyright © 2003 by McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.