Dzhuga

The following article is from The Great Soviet Encyclopedia (1979). It might be outdated or ideologically biased.

Dzhuga

 

a village near Dzhul’fa in the Nakhichevan’ ASSR. It is the site of an ancient settlement on the Araks River; during the Middle Ages it was an important commercial city until its destruction in 1605. Remains of Azerbaijani architecture of the early 13th century have been preserved in Dzhuga, including the two-tiered stone Giulistan mausoleum (the second tier has 12 sides and is decorated with carved geometric designs) and the remains of a multispanned bridge. Among the medieval Armenian remains found in Dzhuga are the ruins of a church, a caravansary, and a burial ground with numerous tombstones (khachkary).

REFERENCE

Ter-Avetisian, S. V. Gorod Dzhuga. … Tbilisi, 1937.
The Great Soviet Encyclopedia, 3rd Edition (1970-1979). © 2010 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.