Dzhvari

Dzhvari

 

an urban-type settlement in Tsalendzhikha Raion, Georgian SSR, on the left bank of the Inguri River. It is the final station on the railroad spur from the Ingiri station (on the Sukhumi-Samtredia line). A tea factory is located in Dzhvari, and marble is produced in the settlement. Nearby the Inguri Hydroelectric Power Plant is being built (1972).


Dzhvari

 

a church on a mountain peak at the confluence of the Kura and Aragva rivers, near Mtskheta, Georgia. It is one of the outstanding monuments of medieval Georgian architecture, built sometime between 586-587 and 604. Dzhvari, notable for its harmonious proportions, is quatre-foil, that is, four-apsed, with a dome on an eight-sided drum supported by squinches; there are four adjoining corner chambers between the apses, the whole measuring 22 m × 18.4 m. On the facades are reliefs, including images of the benefactors (ktitors). Dzhvari adjoins the Malyi Dzhvari church, which is cruciform. The latter was built in the middle of the sixth century, and some of its ruins have been preserved.

REFERENCE

Chubinashvili, G. N. Pamiatniki tipa Dzhvari. Tbilisi, 1948.
References in periodicals archive ?
Another book, Pilgrimage to Dzhvari: A Woman's Journey of Spiritual Awakening, by Valeria Alfeyeva (Bell Tower, $22 hardcover) is the story of a Moscow writer who, accompanied by her teenage son, spends time at a remote Orthodox monastery inhabited by four monks in the Soviet republic of Georgia in the last days of the communist regime.