ET(redirected from Etes)
Also found in: Dictionary, Medical, Financial, Acronyms, Idioms, Wikipedia.
(in Britain) Employment Training: a government scheme offering training in technological and business skills to unemployed people
ETAbbrev. for ephemeris time.
Bernd Gersdorf, U Bremen. An integration of functional and logic programming.
The country code for Ethiopia.
ET(1) See energy technology.
(2) (Encyclopedia Toolkit) The Encyclopedia Toolkit (E.T.) is a utility that lets multiuser customers add their own definitions into the Windows version of CDE. This is not interactive. All new terms must be coded in a text file that E.T. merges into CDE. E.T. re-indexes the database, and a new set of files is created for distribution to the server.
The Virtual Hypertext Bonus
Every custom term added is automatically hypertexted to all the terms in CDE. If a technical word is used to describe something, the definition of that word is retrieved instantly by clicking it as long as it is in CDE.
1. Copy et.exe into a work folder.
2. Create your definitions .TXT file (see Sample Coding below) and copy to work folder. Do not prefix .TXT file names with "CDE;" for example, "CDEterms.txt" is not valid.
3. Run E.T. and select FILE/ESTABLISH NEW DATABASE. You will be prompted for the folder where the existing encyclopedia is installed. E.T. will copy CDE.EXE, CDE.ABC, CDE.TXT and INTRO.BMP from that folder into the work folder. CDE.ABC and CDE.TXT are renamed CURRENT.ABC and CURRENT.TXT.
4. Select FILE/UPDATE and Add the .TXT files.
5. Click PROCESS.
6. To test the changes, select FILE/TEST UPDATED ENCYCLOPEDIA.
7. Copy the following updated files from the work folder to the CDE server folder:
Following are the four transaction types:
+ new term To add a term, put a plus sign on a line by itself, the term name on the next line, then the text. You can have up to 64K of text in each entry. In this transaction, all the text in this paragraph would be entered under the term "new term." - AFIPS The minus sign deletes an existing definition, but you can put text here for internal comments. = BASIC in ROM This transaction replaces this text with the existing definition for "BASIC in ROM." & AS/400 This text is appended to AS/400. A message is also inserted by the Toolkit to indicate this is a user-extended entry.
Bold, Italic, Subscript and Superscript
You may use standard HTML start and end tags.
<b> </b>, <i> </i>, <sub> </sub>, <sup> </sup>.
CDE supports this subhead:
To display a centered header like the one above, use an <h> code with *no* end tag:
<h>Code Headers Like This
Images in the Definitions
CDE supports GIFs, JPEGs and WMFs. This shows how to code an image (*no* end tags). Be sure to copy new images to the CDE pictures subfolder in the server.
<picture>frabbit.gif <title><b>Our Latest Frabbit</b> <caption>Our company makes the best frabbits in the industry.