efferent

(redirected from Efferents)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical.
Related to Efferents: Afferents, Efferent system

efferent

[′ef·ə·rənt]
(physiology)
Carrying or conducting away, as the duct of an exocrine gland or a nerve.
References in periodicals archive ?
7] Further, it was shown that the afferents are present in the ipsilateral somatic nerves and in nerve plexuses around the blood vessels[8] and the efferents are located in the sympathetic and vagal parasympathetics.
Each muscle spindle is built around 3-10 small intrafusal muscle fibres attached to the sheaths of the surrounding extrafusal skeletal muscle fibres, the ends of which are excited by small gamma efferent motor nerve fibres.
21,22] Anatomically, there is evidence for subcortical lateralization of efferent sympathetic pathways, with segregation of left and right responses maintained at the level of brain stem and spinal cord.
For example, the posterior medial BNST receives heavy innervation from the vSUB and MeA, whereas the anteroventral region receives input from the CeA and most of the IL efferents (Canteras and Swanson 1992; Cullinan et al.
This nerve has 80% parasympathetic pre-ganglion visceral-motor fibers, the remaining 20% consisting of somatic-motor efferents (10-20%) and general visceral afferents (80-90%) (Holzer, 1998).
However, these findings might also be explained by the fact that stimulation of the efferents from the right ear suppressed or inhibited the auditory and vestibular hair cell function in the apparently unaffected left inner ear.
It is well documented that there are afferent fibers in the esophagus and efferents in the airway.