Efim Pavlovich Slavskii
Slavskii, Efim Pavlovich
Born Oct. 26, (Nov. 7), 1898, in the village of Makeevka, now a city in Donetsk Oblast, Ukrainian SSR. Soviet state and party figure. Three times a Hero of Socialist Labor. Member of the CPSU since 1918.
The son of peasants, Slavskii began working as a miner in the Donets Coal Basin in 1912. He served in the Soviet Army from 1918 to 1928 and fought in the Civil War of 1918-20. He graduated from the Moscow Institute of Nonferrous Metals and Gold in 1933. From 1933 to 1940, Slavskii worked at the Elek-trotsink Plant in Ordzhonikidze, serving at various times as engineer, shop supervisor, chief engineer, and plant director. He was director of the Dnieper Aluminum Plant in Zaporozh’e in 1940 and 1941 and of the Ural’skii Aluminum Plant in Ka-mensk-Ural’skii from 1941 to 1945.
In 1945 and 1946, Slavskii was deputy people’s commissar of nonferrous metallurgy of the USSR, and between 1946 and 1953 he served as deputy chief of the central board under the Council of Ministers of the USSR. From 1953 to 1957 he was first deputy minister of medium machine building of the USSR. Since 1965 he has served as minister of medium machine building of the USSR, a post he held previously from 1957 to 1963. Between 1963 and 1965 he was chairman of the State Production Committee on Medium Machine Building of the USSR.
Slavskii became a member of the Central Committee of the CPSU in 1961. He was a deputy to the fifth through ninth convocations of the Supreme Soviet of the USSR. Twice a recipient of the State Prize of the USSR, he has been awarded eight Orders of Lenin, the Order of the October Revolution, the Order of the Red Banner of Labor, and various medals.