Also found in: Wikipedia.
Eisenhüttenstadt(ī'zənhüt`ənshtät), city (1994 pop. 47,550), Brandenburg, E Germany; on the Oder River at the border with Poland. It is an inland harbor with shipyards and an important frontier trade center. Manufactures include pig iron, steel products, glass, and food processing. It was formed by the union of Fürstenberg, Stalinstadt, and Schönfliess in 1961.
a city in the German Democratic Republic, in Frankfurt/Oder District. Port on the Oder-Spree Canal. Population, 47,400 (1975). Eisenhüttenstadt was founded in 1950 in connection with the building of the Ost ferrous metal combine. River vessels are built in the city. In 1961 the city of Fürstenberg merged with Eisenhüttenstadt.
The city is divided into neighborhood districts, each with approximately 6,000 residents. All neighborhoods have squares, parks, and shops. Typical examples of the city’s architecture, with three- to five-story buildings predominating, include apartment houses on Heinrich-Heine-Allee and Maxim-Gorky-Strasse (1956, architect W. Stamm), Republikstrasse (1957, architects O. Schmidt and W. Knof), and the House of the Organizations (1955, architect H. Wunderlich).