(Economic Gazette), a weekly newspaper of the Central Committee of the CPSU. Founded in November 1918 as Ekonomicheskaia zhizn’ (Economic Life), it was originally published by the Supreme Council on the National Economy and the people’s commissariats dealing with economic affairs. It became an organ of the Council of Labor and Defense in mid-1921. Beginning in 1931, the newspaper was published by the State Planning Committee (Gosplan) and People’s Commissariat of Finance of the USSR, the five Union banks, and the Central Committee of the Union of Financial and Bank Workers.
The newspaper took the name Finansovaia gazeta (Financial Gazette) in November 1937. It was not published from the beginning of the Great Patriotic War until 1956, when, in February, it was revived under the name Promyshlenno-ekonomicheskaia gazeta (Industrial and Economic Gazette), as an organ of the State Committee on New Technology of the Council of Ministers of the USSR. After being reorganized in June 1960 as a daily organ of the Central Committee of the CPSU, under the name Ekonomicheskaia gazeta, it became a weekly in August 1961.
Ekonomicheskaia gazeta publicizes the economic policy of the CPSU and mobilizes the masses for its implementation. The newspaper focuses on economic theory, new developments in economic practice, and socialist competition directed at raising efficiency and the quality of work. Charged with assisting the education of the working people in the area of economics, the newspaper publishes methodological and educational materials on course topics and provides recommendations and advice on management of the system of economic education. It was awarded the Order of the Red Banner of Labor in 1971. Circulation, approximately 850,000 (1978).