Elblag


Also found in: Dictionary, Wikipedia.

Elbląg

(ĕl`blôNk) or

Elbing

(ĕl`bĭng), city (1994 est. pop. 127,500), Warmińsko-Mazurskie prov., N Poland. A seaport near the Vistula Lagoon, it has shipyards, machinery plants, and an important metallurgical industry. In 1237 the Teutonic Knights built a castle, around which developed a settlement. Elbląg joined the Hanseatic League in the late 13th cent. Along with other Prussian towns, it revolted against the Teutonic Knights c.1450 and submitted to the rule of Poland. It gained increasing importance in the 16th and 17th cent. as a commercial port. The city was ceded to Prussia in 1772. It suffered heavy damage in World War II, after which it passed to Poland.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia™ Copyright © 2013, Columbia University Press. Licensed from Columbia University Press. All rights reserved. www.cc.columbia.edu/cu/cup/
The following article is from The Great Soviet Encyclopedia (1979). It might be outdated or ideologically biased.

Elblag

 

a city in Poland and the capital of Elbląg Województwo; situated near the Vistula Lagoon of the Baltic Sea. Port on the Elblag River. Population, 101,000 (1977). Elblag’s industries include heavy machine building (the manufacture of turbines, ship equipment, reducers, and metalworking tools), transportation machine building, food processing, and the manufacture of clothes and wood products. [30–441 -2]

The Great Soviet Encyclopedia, 3rd Edition (1970-1979). © 2010 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.

Elbla̧g

a port in N Poland: metallurgical industries. Pop.: 129 000 (2005 est.)
Collins Discovery Encyclopedia, 1st edition © HarperCollins Publishers 2005