Chernihiv(redirected from Eletsky Monastery)
Also found in: Dictionary.
Chernihiv(chĭrnyē`hĭf), Rus. Chernigov (chĭrnyē`gəf), city (1990 est. pop. 296,000), capital of Chernihiv region, in N Ukraine, on the Desna River. It is a rail junction, a river port, and an air and highway transport hub. Industries include tire-making, woodworking, food and wool processing, and the manufacture of metal goods and machinery. First mentioned in 907, Chernihiv is one of the oldest cities of Kievan RusKievan Rus
, medieval state of the Eastern Slavs. It was the earliest predecessor of modern Ukraine and Russia. Flourishing from the 10th to the 13th cent., it included nearly all of present-day Ukraine and Belarus and part of NW European Russia, extending as far N as Novgorod
..... Click the link for more information. . From the 11th to 13th cent., Chernihiv was the capital of a principality of the same name, but the city declined after the Mongol invasion of 1239. It passed to Lithuania in the 14th cent. and to Russia in the 16th cent. It was under Polish control during part of the 17th cent. Chernihiv's architectural monuments include the 11th-century Spaskyy Cathedral, the Church of the Assumption in the Yelets Monastery (11th cent.), and Ivan Mazeppa's baroque army building (17th–18th cent.).