Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Wikipedia.
Elgin,town (1991 pop. 18,702), Moray, NE Scotland, on the Lossie River. Lossiemouth is its port. Elgin is the market town for Moray's farm belt. Woolen textiles are manufactured, and scotch is distilled. Elgin became a religious authoritative locality in 1224, when Elgin Cathedral was founded. Called "the Lantern of the North," the cathedral was reputedly Scotland's finest piece of early Gothic architecture. Its ruins still stand. The ruins of Spynie Palace, seat of the bishops of Moray until the 17th cent., are nearby. Gordonstoun School, N of Elgin, was attended by Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, and Charles, Prince of Wales.
Elgin(ĕl`jĭn), city (1990 pop. 77,010), Cook and Kane counties, NE Ill., on the Fox River; inc. 1854. Elgin is a railroad, trade, and industrial city marked by a steady population growth. Corn and soybeans are grown and electrical and electronic equipment, pharmaceuticals, and household appliances are manufactured. The Elgin Watch Company (est. 1864) was based in the city until 1970. Judson College is there.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia™ Copyright © 2013, Columbia University Press. Licensed from Columbia University Press. All rights reserved. www.cc.columbia.edu/cu/cup/
a market town in NE Scotland, the administrative centre of Moray, on the River Lossie: ruined 13th-century cathedral: distilling, engineering. Pop.: 20 829 (2001)
Collins Discovery Encyclopedia, 1st edition © HarperCollins Publishers 2005