Elgudzha Davidovich Amashukeli
Amashukeli, Elgudzha Davidovich
Born Apr. 22, 1928, in Tbilisi. Soviet sculptor and builder of monuments. Honored Artist of the Georgian SSR (1965).
Amashukeli studied at the Tbilisi Academy of Arts (1950–55) under N. P. Kandelaki. He is the creator of the allegorical statue Mother Georgia in Tbilisi (in wood, 1958; replaced by aluminum, 1963; awarded Sh. Rustaveli State Prize of the Georgian SSR, 1965) and a memorial to Vakh-tang Gorgasal (bronze, unveiled in 1967). These works are distinguished by the lapidary quality of their shapes and a pathetic tension of imagery. His monument To the Fallen Heroes at Poti (1968), bas-reliefs at the Rustaveli Plaza subway station in Tbilisi (stone and brass, 1966), and deep-cut reliefs on obelisks at the gateway to Tbilisi (tuff, 1958) also display these characteristics.
REFERENCEVoronov, N. Skul’pturnye kompozitsii Elgudzhi Amashukeli. “Iskusstvo,” 1966, no. 9.
N. A. EZERSKAIA