Eliseevichi

Eliseevichi

 

an Upper Paleolithic site on the right bank of the Sudost’ River (a right-bank tributary of the Desna River), near the village of Eliseevichi, Briansk Oblast. The site was abandoned by tribes of hunters for mammoths. K. M. Polikarpovich excavated the site in 1930, 1935, 1946, and 1948. Dwellings, made with mammoth bones dug into the ground, have been discovered. The numerous items found at Eliseevichi include a variety of tools made of stone (burins, end scrapers) and bone (awls, needles, hoes), large slabs made of mammoth tusks painted with geometric designs (they resemble Australian churingas), and a female figurine made of mammoth tusk.

REFERENCE

Polikarpovich, K. M. Paleolit Verkhnego Podneprov’ia. Minsk, 1968.
References in periodicals archive ?
It includes at least 13 sites such as Dobranichevka, Eliseevichi, Gontsy, Mezin, Mezhirich, and Yudinovo, which cluster near the valleys of the Dniepr and Desna rivers and their tributaries, also such outliers as Milovice near the Dyje in Moravia, and Anosovka II and Kostenki II on the Don in Russia (Soffer 1985; Svoboda et al.
Similar structuring of pits with mammoth crania has been observed by Grekhova (1985) at the site of Eliseevichi as well.