the remains of an ancient fortified settlement near the cossack village of Elizavetovskaia in the Don River delta. The settlement has inner and outer lines of fortifications (earthen banks and ditches). Excavations (in 1853, 1871, 1908–10, 1923–28, 1954, 1958–59, and since 1965) have established that it existed from the sixth century through the third century B.C. and was a major agricultural, fishing, and artisan center. During the period it enjoyed its greatest prosperity, Elizavetovskaia Gorodishche was the principal trade center of the lower Don Region; the Bosporan Greeks traded with the tribes of the Don Region there. The population apparently consisted of the Maeotae and Greeks. A large barrow burial ground, which has been frequently investigated, is located near Elizavetovskaia Gorodishche.
REFERENCESMiller, A. A. “Raskopki v raione drevnego Tanaisa.” In the collection Izvestiia imperatorskoi arkheologicheskoi Komissii, issue 35. St. Petersburg, 1910.
Knipovich, T. N. “Opyt kharakteristiki gorodishcha u stanitsy Elisavetovskoi po nakhodkam ekspeditsii Gosudarstvennoi akademii istorii material’noi kul’tury v 1928.” Izvestiia Gosudarstvennoi Akademii istorii material’noi kul’tury, 1934, issue 104.
Arkheologicheskie otkrytiia [1965–1971 gg.]. Moscow, 1966–72.