Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Wikipedia.
Engels(ĕng`gĭls), city (1989 pop. 181,000), E European Russia, a port on the Volga River. It has a large chemical fiber complex. Founded by Ukrainian settlers, it was a major destination of German settlers during the reign of Catherine the Great. The city was called Pokrovsk until 1931. It was the capital (1924–41) of the German Volga Autonomous SSR.
(from 1914 to 1931, Pokrovsk), a city under oblast jurisdiction and the administrative center of Engel’s Raion, Saratov Oblast, RSFSR. Named in honor of F. Engels. Situated on the left bank of the Volga (the Volgograd Reservoir), opposite the city of Saratov. A highway bridge built in 1965 links Engel’s with Saratov. Engel’s has a railroad station (Pokrovsk-Privolzhskii) and a port. Population, 163,000 (1977; 22,000 in 1897, 91,000 in 1959, and 130,000 in 1970).
One of the leading industries in Engel’s is machine building, represented by the Uritskii Trolleybus Plant and plants producing vehicles, spark plugs for motor vehicles and tractors, and fuel filters. The city’s chemical industry includes the Khimvolokno Production Association and a detergent plant. Light industry is represented by a fulling and footwear factory, a weaving mill, and a garment factory. The city’s food-processing industry includes meat-packing, bread-baking, milk, and food-processing combines. Other plants manufacture reinforced-concrete construction members and products, metal structural components, and large panels for buildings. A district heat and power plant is located in the city.
Engel’s is the location of the Volga Scientific Research Institute of Hydraulic Engineering and Land Reclamation, the technology department of the Saratov Polytechnic Institute, and a department of the Moscow Cooperative Institute. There are several technicums, including an industrial-pedagogical technicum, a municipal construction technicum, a chemical-mechanical technicum, and a cooperative trade technicum. The city also has an operetta theater and a museum of local lore.