a city in Krasnoiarsk Krai, RSFSR; a landing on the left shore of the Enisei, below the confluence of the Angara and the Enisei, 40 km northwest of the Maklakovo rail-road station.
Eniseisk is connected with Krasnoiarsk by an automotive route (347 km). Population, 20,000 (1970). Eniseisk was founded in 1619 as the Eniseisk ostrog (fort). In 1676 it became the oblast center of Irkutsk Territory and of Transbaikalia; in 1719, the main city of Eniseisk Province; in 1804, the district center of Tomsk Province; and in 1822, the district center of Eniseisk Province. During the 17th and 18th centuries, as the commercial and administrative center of the Enisei Basin, Eniseisk played an important part in Russian development of Eastern Siberia. The city is part of the Eniseisk-Maklakovo lumber-industry complex (a large and growing region for mechanical and chemical processing of wood). Timber-processing and food industries are located in Eniseisk, as well as a wood-floating administrative office and a machinery plant. Cultural and educational facilities include a pedagogic institute, teachers’ training school, people’s theater,and museum of local history.