Estrada Palma, Tomás | Article about Estrada Palma, Tomás by The Free Dictionary
Estrada Palma, Tomás
Estrada Palma, Tomás (tōmäs` esträ`thä päl`mä), 1835–1908, Cuban revolutionist and first president (1902–6) of Cuba. An active participant in the Ten Years War (1868–78), he became a general (1876) and was captured by the Spanish (1877). Released and exiled, he spent some time in the United States, where he helped win support for the Cuban cause. As president he strove to balance the republic's economy and set Cuba on the road to material progress, but he was unable to stop the excessive graft and spoils sought by the revolution's military and political participants. He was reelected (1906) by the conservatives; the liberals charged fraud, and a revolt broke out under José Miguel GómezGómez, José Miguel
, 1858–1921, president of Cuba (1909–13). He took part in the Ten Years War (1868–78) and the successful revolution begun in 1895.
..... Click the link for more information. . Estrada Palma sought aid from the United States but, refusing the American compromise, resigned.
- Estlandia Labor Commune
- Estonia Independence Day
- Estonia Restoration of Independence Day
- Estonia Victory Day
- Estonia, Christmas in
- Estonian Bacon Hog
- Estonian Black-and-White Cattle
- Estonian Dark-Headed Sheep
- Estonian Horse
- Estonian Soviet Socialist Republic
- Estonian State Regional Electric Power Plant
- Estonian Tallinn Academic Theater
- Estonian Theater of Opera and Ballet
- Estonian Vanemuine Theater
- Estonian White-Head Sheep
- Estournelles de Constant, Paul Henri Benjamin, baron d'
- Estrada Cabrera, Manuel
- Estrada Doctrine
- Estrada Palma, Tomás
- Estrada, Joseph Marcelo Ejercito
- Estrades, Godefroy, comte d'
- Estradiol Dipropionate
- estragon oil
- Estrées, Gabrielle d'
- Estrela, Serra da
- estrogenic hormone
- Estrous Cycle
- Estrup, Jacob Brønnum Scavenius
- estuarine circulation
- estuarine deposit
- estuarine environment
- estuarine oceanography